Thursday, May 28, 2009

changing your game....

I play a lot of 8-ball and 9-ball. There's a huge difference in the way these games are played. From different rules, shots, to position, and safeties. I could go on and on about how I need improvement in both games, but I won't waste your time. I've played a lot of APA 9-ball and I think I've succumbed to playing with that style. In APA you play 9-ball for points depending on your handicap. Each ball is worth one point, the 9 is worth two. Its a race to your handicap points no matter what skill level you're playing so running a rack or missing a ball are both as equally as crucial.

I began to play a new format of 9-ball last week in a different league for a mini-session. Now, this 9-ball isn't much different. Play your game, sink the 9 (no matter how it goes) and you win. Its a race to your handicap. (you're a 3- you gotta win 3 game, you're a 6-you gotta win 6 games, etc.). Difference - it's call-pocket 9-ball. Hhhhmmmm......................I'll let you ponder on that one for a minute.

Are you done yet?

So as you would expect, why should this change the game any? You still make your shots, get postion, play safe, what's the f'n problem?!?!?!?!? I dunno either! But I'm struggling with it. Bad!!!

For some reason, instead of playing shape to run racks.....I'm now looking at the 9 ball on every shot. Can I make it? How can I play position to get on my next ball and combo the 9? If I miss a shot do I leave my opponent the 9 out? A combo 9? Now for all you big shot players....this probably seems mindless and a waste of energy for me to be typing this. For me, it's affecting my game and my mind. Lets just say this now: I HATE TO LOSE! My team says "don't worry, you'll get. You'll win next time." Winning next time doesn't make me feel better about losing today! Yes - I won't win every game I play. But what's wrong with striving to be better and figuring out what it is that got me to lose today?

This is how my evening went:

Game 1 - I break. Run the 1-5, play safe on the 6. He kicks the 6 and scratches. I have ball in hand on the 7, and f'n scratch. Down 0-1

Game 2 - He breaks, runs down to the 8 and misses. With ball in hand on the 8 I make the shot and get position on the 9. Not a hard shot......a long drive down the side rail. I miss. F@#%. Down 0-2

Game 3
- He breaks, nothing goes. I run down to the 6 and get hooked behind the 8. Now what?! I take a long kick and miss. Ball in hand for him. The 9 is in front of the 8 and BAM - combo 9, game over!!! He only needs 3 games and wins: 0-3

Opponent: Good game.

Me: Yup.

Opponent: No really. Good game.

Me: Really?! Because you won. I don't see much "GOOD" in that.

Opponent: Well, I mean, you play well for a .......

Me: For what? For my handicap? For a GIRL? just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean you can take me any lighter. So I played like a crap and you won. End of story. I'd appreciate if you didn't speak anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment